Anderson's Law

What is a Deputyship Order?

Should someone suffer from an accident, illness (e.g. alzheimer’s or dementia), severe learning disability, or brain injury and have lost the capacity to make decisions on their behalf and need looking after, without their Lasting Powers of Attorney (LPA’s) in place. Their loved ones may apply for Deputyship over their Property, Financial and Welfare matters.

A Deputyship Order is a legal document that allows elected representatives to make Property, Financial and Welfare decisions. 

What types of Deputyship can I apply for?

You can apply to be a Property and Financial Affairs Deputy, a Personal Welfare Deputy or both.

A Property and Financial Affairs Deputy will allow you to look after someone’s financial and physical assets (e.g. pay any mortgages, rent, bills, and investments). 

A Personal Welfare Deputy enables you to manage their care and medical conditions. 

If you become a Deputy, you must submit annual reports to the Office of the Public Guardian explaining the decisions you have made on the concerned individual’s behalf.  

Can I apply to be a Deputy?

If you’re over the age of 18 and capable, you may apply to become a Deputy for a loved one; however, it is essential to know an application for Deputyship may be rejected by the Court if the Court deems your personal circumstances will compromise your ability to adequately manage the affairs for the individual concerned (e.g. you have reduced mental capacity or are bankrupt).

How Can We Assist?

Should you need to make an application to the Court for a Deputyship Order; there is a considerable amount of paperwork involved. We are able to carry out this process for you, provide you with important legal advice and answer any questions you may have throughout the process. 

Applying for a Deputyship Order is considerably more expensive than arranging for your LPA’s to be arranged. With higher initial set-up fees and ongoing annual charges to the Court. 

For further information on setting up a Deputyship Order or your LPA’s, please do not hesitate to contact us.